skull 4


The 1916 Easter Rising

skull 4

fixed lined the walls of the chapel. Immediately after the ceremony the couple were separated, but just before Joseph Plunkett's execution at dawn, the bride was allowed to see him for a further ten minutes. During those last few minutes together, fifteen soldiers stood guard in the cell, and the time was regulated to the second by a soldier who stood by with a watch. One hour after this last meeting Joseph Plunkett was executed in the Stonebreakers yard to Kilmainham prison. It is said that he went to his death with composure and distinguished tranquility. He was 28 years of age.

edward daly

Edward Daly

Tried by Court Martial on the 3rd May 1916. Executed between 4 and 4.30am on the 4th May 1916 at Kilmainham Prison

Edward ' Ned ' Daly was born on the 25th February 1891 and was Commandant of the Dublin's 1st Battalion, during the Easter Rising. He was the youngest man to to hold the rank, and the youngest to be executed. He was born at 26 Frederick Street, Limerick, and was the only son among the ten children born to Edward and Catherine Daly. He was the younger bother of Kathleen Clarke, wife of Thomas Clarke, and an active member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood. His father Edward was a Fenian who died five months before his sons birth, at the age of 41. His uncle John Daly, a prominent Republican had taken part in the Fenian Rising. It was through John Daly that Thomas Clarke had met his future wife. Edward was educated at the Presentation Sister's at Sexton Street, the Christian Brothers at Roxboro Road and at Leamy's Commercial College. He spent a short time as an apprentice baker in Glasgow before returning to Limerick to work in Spaight's timber yard. He later moved to Dublin where he eventually took up a position with a wholesale chemists. He lived in Fairview with his sister Kathleen and Tomas Clarke.Although Edward Daly's membership of the IRB is certain, it is not known when he joined the organisation. In 1913 he joined the newly formed Irish Volunteers. He soon reached the rank of Captain. He was assiduous in the study of military manuals and the professionalism of his company gained the admiration of senior officers in actions such as the Howth gun-running of 1914. In March 1915, he was promoted to Commandant of the 1st Battalion.

The following information was went by General Sir John Maxwell to the British Prime Minister Herbert Asquith: ' This man was one of the most prominent extremist in the Sinn Fein organisation. He held the rank of Commandant and was in command of the body of rebels who held the Four Courts where heavy fighting took place and casualties occured. he admitted being at the meeting of officers which decided to carry out the orders of the executive council and commence the armed rebellion. ' Those present at the Court Martial hearing were: Brigadier-general C.G Blackader
( President ) Lieutenant-Colonels G. German and W.J. Kent. The charge was ' Did take part in an armed rebellion and in the waging of war against His Majesty the King, such an act being of such a nature as to be calculated to be prejudicial to the defence of the Realm and being done with the intention and for the purpose of assisting the enemy. ' To this charge Edward Daly pleaded not guily. The 1st witness was Lieutenant Halpin ( 3rd Sherwood Foresters ) who stated: ' I was arrested opposite the Four Courts on Monday 24th April and i was taken into the Four Courts and detained in custody unil the following Saturday. I first saw the accused on Thursday 27th April, he was armed and in uniform. I don't know if he was in authority. There was firing from the Four Courts while i was there. '

When cross-examined by Edward Daly, Lieutenat Halpin confirmed that he had been well treated during his term of imprisonment. The 2nd witness was Lieiutenant A.P Lindsay ( 5th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ) who stated: ' I was arrested on Tuesday 25th April by the Rebels at the Four Courts and was fired on prior to arrest. Another officer with me was wounded. We were both taken into the Four Courts and confined there. I saw the accused during my confinement. I did not see the accused giving any orders. I saw him on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and had a conversation

with him. On Saturday i was informed that Commandant Daly wanted to see me. Commandant daly is the accused. he said that he intended to make a counter-attack as the position was hopeless. I told him that it was useless and that he had better surrender. he said that he could not surrender without orders from a superior. ' When cross-examined by Daly, Lieutenant Lindsay went on the say: ' He told me he had had a conference with the other officers and that a counter-attack had been decided upon. He also said that he did not expect anyone who took part in the counter-attack would come back alive. he said that the object of making this counter-attack was to save the lives of as many people as possible in the building. ' Edward Daly did not call on any witnesses but made the follwing statement in his defence. ' The reason i pleaded ' Not Guilty ' was because i had no dealings with any outside forces. I had no knowledge of the insurrection until Monday morning, 24th April. The officers including myself when we heard the news held a meeting and decided that the whole thing was foolish, but that being under orders we had no option but to obey. ' Edward Daly was found guily and sentenced to death by shooting. This sentenced was confirmed by

Michael O'Hanrahan

Tried by Court - Martial 3rd May 1916 - Executed between 4 and 4.30am 4th May 1916 at Kilmianham Prison.

ohanrahan b

Michael O'Hanrahan was born on the 17th March 1877, at New Ross, County Wexford. He was the son of Richard O'Hanrahan and Mary Williams. His father appears to have been involved in the 1867 Fenian Rising. The family moved to Carlow where Michael was educated at Carlow Christian Brothers' School and Carlow College Academy. On leaving school he worked at various jobs including a period alongside his father in the cork-cutting business. In 1898, he joined the Gaelic league and in 1899 founded the League's first Carlow branch and became its secretary. By 1903 he was in Dublin where he was working as a proof reader for the Gaelic League printer Clo Cumann. He published journalism under the b-lines ' Art ' and ' irish Reader ' in several nationalist newspapers, including Sinn Fein and the Irish Volunteer. He was the author of two novels, ' A Swordsman of the Brigade ' ( 1914 ) and
' When the Norman Came ' ( published posthumously in 1918 )

In 1903 he became involved in Maud Gonne and Arthur Griffith's campaign aginst the visit of King Edward VII to Ireland. The encounter with Griffith led Michael to join the newly formed Sinn Fein. He also became a member of the Irish republican Brotherhood. In November 1913 he joined the Irish Volunteers. Michael was later employed as an administrator on the Volunteers headquarters staff. He was made Quartermaster-General of the 2nd Battalion where he also acted as second in command to his friend Commandant Thomas MacDonagh, though his role as such was usurped by the last minute addition of John MacBride to the ranks. Michael's battalion saw action at the Jacob's Biscuit Factory.

In a memorandum to the British Prime Minister, Maxwell provided the following information concerning Michael O'Hanrahan: ' This man was employed at the office of the Headquarters of the Irish Volunteers. he was one of the most active members of that body, took part in all their parades and was a constant associate with the leaders of the Rebellion. He was arrested in uniform and armed, and there had been heavy fighting and casualties amongst the British troops in the neighbourhood of the place where this man with others surrendered. He was an officer in the Rebel army. '

Members of the court present were: Brigadier-General C.G Blackader ( President ) Lieutenant-Colonel G. German and Lieutenat -Colonel W.J Kent. The charge was: ' Did take part in an armed Rebellion and the waging of war against His Majesty the Kig, such act being of such a nature as to be calculated to be prejudicial to the defence of the Realm and being done with the intention and for the purpose of assisting the enemy. The first winess was Major J.A Armstrong who stated:

' I was present at St. Stephen's Park, on the 30th April 1916. The British troops were fired upon and there were several casualties. The fire came from the neighbourhood of Jacob's factory. The same day a surrender was arranged. I saw the surrender being arranged by Mr MacDonagh. Over 100 men arrived from Jacob's Factory as a result of the surrender and another large body arrived from the same direction as a result of the surrender. The accused belonged to one of the parties. he was in uniform and armed. After his removal to Richmond Barracks, he said that he was an officer. '

When cross-examined by the accused Major Armstrong stated that all of the officers appreared to be armed, with pistols or revolvers. Armstrong was unable to say if O'Hanrahan was armed but stated that his name did not appear on a list of those people found to be unarmed. Michael O'Hanrahan did not call witnesses in his efence but made the following statement:

' As a soldier of the Republican Army under orders of the Provisional Government of that Republic duly constituted i acted under orders of my superiors. '

Michael O'Hanrahan was found guilty of the charge and sentenced to detha by shooting. This sentence was confirmed by General Maxwell. Between 4 and 4.30am on the 4th May 1916, he was taken into the old Stonebreakers yard at Kilmainham Prison and executed by firing squad. His remains were later buried in Arbour Lane Cemetary.